Saturday, November 15, 2008

How to Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

I found a wonderful post on The Simple Dollar about making your own liquid laundry detergent and thought that I would give it a try.  The cost per load for a front-loading washing machine is only about 1 cent and a little over 2 cents for a top-loading machine.  It turned out wonderfully, but it didn't start off so well.  laundry detergentI started the water boiling on the stove while I helped Joshua shred the soap.  I looked up and out of the corner of my eye I saw flames!  I had caught my hot pads on fire by turning on the wrong burner.  Keith was sick and was soaking in the tub trying to feel better when I yelled out, "I'm on fire!"  I have no idea why I said that, but it came out.  I quickly poured some water on the hot pads, turned off the burner and all was safe.  Joshua told me, "Wow, that's the first fire we had."  I took this as an opportunity to "teach" the kids what to do in case of a fire. :) Ahh, teachable moments...

Update:  I have used this detergent for a little over 2 months and it cleans wonderfully.  The clothes look, smell, and feel clean.  I think I may still be able to use this batch for at least another month (for a family of 5).

No comments:

Post a Comment